Are you an expert in designing and building robust embedded hard- and software?
Experience with accelerators?
Then read on!
SCK•CEN is developing the design of the multi-purpose irradiation facility MYRRHA, a flexible fast spectrum research infrastructure conceived as an Accelerator Driven System (ADS).
According to the MYRRHA implementation plan, a 100 MeV linac will be constructed first. In a second stage it will be upgraded to 600 MeV and later connected to the MYRRHA reactor.
Within the MYRRHA Phase 1, the main objectives are the design, construction, commissioning, operation of the 100 MeV proton linac coupled to a target facility with applications in fundamental research, in the production of medical radioisotopes and in material research for fusion.
The Accelerator Design and Test (ADT) Unit is responsible for the design, construction and commissioning of the 100 MeV superconducting linac, in close collaboration with several national and international research institutes and industrial partners.
The ADT sub-Unit that is located at the Cyclotron Resource Centre (CRC/UCL) in Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, is currently prototyping (installing and progressively commissioning) the injector part of the linac up to 5.9 MeV. The selected candidate will be a member of this sub-Unit, and will be based at SCK•CEN Louvain-la-Neuve.
SCK•CEN is recruiting an Embedded Systems Engineer for all the activities related to digital controls, especially in the context of the accelerator beam diagnostics acquisitions and of Low Level RF controls. The Accelerator Embedded Systems Engineer will:
• Develop the embedded systems (hardware and software) in association with input/output electronics (ADC's and DAC's for fast acquisitions and/or RF signals in the 10—700 MHz range);
• Contribute to the deployment of the µTCA platforms, which are the fundamental carriers of the accelerator's fast data handling low level devices;
• Ensure the compatibility with the general accelerator's Control System architecture, and with the EPICS framework in particular;
• As a data acquisition expert, participate in selected beam tests;
• Maintain relationships with research partners in the specific accelerator community;
• Follow up the preparation and execution of industrial contracts in his field of expertise, from specifications to SATs.
• MSc. or PhD in Electrical or Computer Engineering or a related field;
• Strong and proven expertise in designing and building robust embedded hardware and software;
• Experience in firmware development and its testing;
• Experience in developing and debugging application level embedded firmware;
• Proficiency in C, C++ and HDL;
• Qualification in general circuit design, modeling, fabrication and testing of electrical, electro-mechanical and embedded systems;
• Experience in specifying design requirements and implementation trade offs;
• Knowledge of Real Time Embedded programming techniques, with or without an RT-OS;
• Knowledge of communication protocols (I2C, SPI, RS232, RS485, CAN, …)
• Each experience with the following items is considered as a plus:
• DSP's, FPGA's, VHDL/Verilog, systemC, systemVerilog
• FPGA timing constraints, timing analysis, clock domain crossing
• ARM Cortex microcontrollers
• the micro-TCA standard
• industrial design of embedded systems
• industry standard verification tools
• Good communication, coordination and reporting skills;
• Able to organize work autonomously;
• Good interpersonal skills;
• Given the international environment you have a very good working knowledge in written and spoken technical English. Knowledge of French or Dutch is an advantage.